Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Virtual Virginia students comment about distance learning for National Distance Learning Week

Elizabeth E.,

Chinese II student

It (distance learning) has helped my education because I can do it wherever and whenever I want to, without being limited or restricted in what I do. I can be flexible and stress-free. Because I am stress-free in my Chinese II virtual class on Virtual Virginia, I do better in my other classes as well as enjoy this class very much.

Tracey A.,

AP U.S. Government student

Taking this distance learning class has allowed me to more effectively use the "FLEX" period at my school as a class, so that I can take other electives not offered as an online class.

Rachel L.,

AP Environmental
Science
student

By taking the online AP Environmental Science course, I was able to fit it into my schedule easier. Taking the class in an online format allows me to be in control more of how well I do in the class, because the materials and assignments are easily accessible. Being able to communicate with people from different areas also provides a different opinion from the majority that is found in my "real" classes. This helps me to look at issues with a new perspective, especially those involving the environment.

Cali L.,

Chinese I
student

Distance education is really one of the best things to come out of the age of computers, I think. I am a student at a tiny rural high school in southwest Virginia, and our school system just is not equipped to provide advanced or non-traditional courses for students. See, over summer 2009, I attended the Governor's Foreign Language Academies and STARTALK programs and began to study Chinese. I fell in love almost instantaneously, but the only language courses my school offers are in Spanish. This is where distance education programs come in. I am able to continue my studies in Chinese, and have plans to expand my language learning by taking Latin next year in addition to Chinese II and Spanish IV. Through these programs, such as Virtual Virginia, students are able to take the advanced or non-traditional courses that they like. And the class materials are not the only thing one can learn from a distance education course. Responsibility, time management, and computer skills are just a few of the skills students can learn from taking DE courses. These courses also can help students gain college credit while still in high school through AP and dual-credit classes, which will help students cut down on the overall cost of a college education, which is not by any means inexpensive. I am currently taking US History through my local community college and love the course. I feel like I am being challenged in ways that I would not have been in a regular US History class. It's these kinds of benefits, I feel, that can help the students of today succeed tomorrow, and I'm so glad that there are programs out there like Virtual Virginia to help. Thank you!

Amanda B.,

Creative Writing, and AP English Language and Composition student

Virtual Virginia has offered me so many different courses that our school did not offer. Our school is small in a rural community with about 120, give or take a few, in the high school. We offer only one foreign language, Spanish; and just basic English, math, science, agriculture and history classes. When I started foreign languages in eighth grade, I looked at the option in our school, Spanish, and was disappointed. It wasn't until my school counselor let me know that Virtual Virginia was an online school that offered regular and AP classes to schools all over Virginia. Unfortunately, nobody in the school had taken the online language classes, so I was their first "guinea pig." It was an interesting experience, but one that I loved! Virtual Virginia has helped gain more confidence on the computer, and now four out of my seven classes are on the computer -- two of them with Virtual Virginia. I feel more comfortable working at my own pace and independently than in "real" (face-to-face) classes. Last year I took my first AP class and was so impressed with how the course was laid and how my teacher really helped me prepare for the AP Exam. I was well rewarded when the letter came telling me I had gotten a four! This is my fourth year taking online classes through Virtual Virginia, and it will not by my last!

Valerie G.,

AP Environmental Science
student

Many interesting classes are not taught at my high school, and it is so great to be able to access them through Virtual Virginia. Not only am I able to see videos, listen to podcasts, and discuss issues with classmates from all over the world, I am also able to see through technology how the things I am being taught apply to life outside the class.

Rachel D.,

Chinese II student

I have always loved learning, especially languages. My school did not offer Chinese. I started a Mandarin Chinese course online with my friend through Virtual Virginia. Both of us are very happy with the results. We have a wonderful teacher and I feel like I know my classmates even though I have never seen them. This is my second year of online Chinese, and I know that I have learned a lot. This has been a great experience for me, and I would like to say 谢谢 (thank you) to Virtual Virginia and to my teacher.

Sade H.,

AP Psychology student

This class has helped my education because I've learned things that I did not know before, and I also take this class in the Distance Learning Lab in my school.